Blog n: a web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and brief philosophical musings about social issues that generally represent the personality of the author. Blogs are defined by their format: a series of entries posted in reverse-chronological order.
So there. Now feed the starving little fighting fish above by clicking in his space...


Tuesday 8 April 2008

Fish 4 U and Fish 4 Me but not Fish 4 everybody

I went into "Mega Pet" the other day looking for a bag of fluorescent yellow gravel. Their huge inventory just like the other Depot's and Mart's was mind-boggling. The fish took my breath away in all their sleeky vibrance and they looked to me more like an item Made in China than a freckled little soul wiggling around in a Thai paddy field. Starbuck found me wandering down the "fish tanks for your wall'" aisle carrying three electric blue Betta's and he reminded me of the four I had at home, the one I have at work, and the two I'd just bought at FISH 4 U. Insisting that the late "Oscar" had never been replaced I managed to walk out with a huge male with flawless magenta scales and endless crimson tails. I spent less than $5 and left the neon sterility feeling dirty.

I composed the following litany which I chant everyday to remind myself where my loyalties lie and why bigger, better, cheaper, and staying open till later with ten times more variety isn't always Betta...

F4U
Fish For You
41st South and Highland Drive
Fish 4 U with algae, bubbles, and plants
Fish 4 U a fountain of water salty and fresh
Fish 4 U Tuesdays at midnight come Siamese fighters
Fish 4 U Someone spying in camo with binoculars?
Fish 4 U Breathing damp air of green and blue
Fish 4 U Orchestral gurgling around you
Fish 4 U Small and neighborly
Fish 4 U Knows your name
Fish 4 U An American aquarium dream!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photographs are marvelous, and your writings are brilliant!! Awaiting your next entry with anticipation!

Anonymous said...

The photographs are marvelous and your writings are brilliant!! awaiting your next entry with anticipation!

Anonymous said...

Vote for Lionel.

Oh Phil, where are thou Phil?

Anonymous said...

It was good to see you amigo's at the bar last night and thank you kindly for the laminated poems. I pinned them to the notice board in the hallway. I'm glad you liked my photo's and I'd love to do digi-enhance them. I uploaded the rest of them to my picasa web album

http://picasaweb.google.com/britlette/Red02

Leanne

Anonymous said...

No.. Thank You, My Lady !

Thanks for taking the time to read them and share them with that unique group that comes to worship at The Bee.

Your pictures are STUNNING !

I have several new songs for the betta songbook, but, I can't seem to 'cut & paste' them to your comment board anymore for some reason. I think you would just love, "The Fish From Ipanema" Would you believe I share the same tastes in music as you have soundtracked your fishy insights too...

Thanks for the smiles Thursday night. Watching you handle The Bee all by yourself so efficiently was like visual poetry!!

Love, Mister Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Picture!

lkm

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.